Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Baby Beauties

I've found a new obsession.
And not the good kind.
One that pisses me off.
Toddlers and Tiaras on TLC.
Basic premise? Ugly ass parents parading their little JonBenet girls around a stage to earn approval and money.
The same parents push their children to practice and work and sashay like adult women.
They put them in skimpy outfits and hair pieces and fake eyelashes, while slathering their sweet baby faces in more make up than Tammy Fae ever wore.
It make my blood pressure rise and I yell at the TV.
The last episode had a father upset because his two year old daughter, who was laughing and clapping on stage, didn't win anything. Except a trophy for being runner up. And, oh yeah, she was having a good time.
Yeah, the child sounds like a real loser.
All I see is a bunch of pathetic parents who are so insecure in their own looks that they live vicariously through their children.
They push and prod and poke at them until I can't help but feel sorry for the children.
The Man watched it with me and asked if I would ever put Punk in a child beauty pageant.
My answer? A resounding no, complete with a dissertation about the sexualization of children to satisfy the needs of the parent.
Don't get me wrong. I think Punk is a lovely little shit, complete with a pretty face and a perky attitude.
She's certainly more attractive than many of the girls there.
But I won't lube her up, send her to tanning salons, or vaseline her teeth.
If my daughter wants vaseline in her mouth, she'll just have to eat it like any other kid.
I want my daughter to know she is more than a pretty face. She has substance and flair and brains and more. And she doesn't need to be pretty for me.
She just needs to be herself.
And, when she's older, she can just beat up the girl with the tiara if she wants one.
I'll hold her coat.
Or maybe I'll whip the mom's ass.
Consider it mother daughter bonding time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN Sistah!

Anonymous said...

Amen Sistah!