Saturday, March 1, 2008

Where do I go from here?

"Where do we go from here?
Where do we go, from here?
The battle's done
and we kind of won
So we sound our victory cheer!
Where do we go from here?
Why is the path unclear?
When we know home is near?
Understand we'll go hand in hand
But we'll walk alone in fear.
Tell me!
Where do we go from here?
When does "The End" appear?
When do the trumpets cheer?
the curtain closes
On a kiss, god knows
We can tell the end is near
Where do we go from here?"
(All of you fellow Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans should get the reference and be singing along!)
My current job has been my life for such a long time, imagining myself without it leaves me feeling a bit hollow.
I have cried, laughed, and shared so much with my co-workers that they are less friends and more family. (And not the you only see every few years at reunions kind of family, but the type that you know you can turn to when life drops a big old steamy one in your lap.)
So I'll keep tugging slowly on that Band Aid, prolonging the inevitable. And when the time comes, I won't say goodbye. I'll leave the building just like every other day, because saying goodbye will hurt too much.
I'll save my tears for the drive home, when I'll be bobbing and weaving dangerously on the roads. (I'll try to give fair warning before that day arrives so everyone else can stay off the roads except for that nice policeman who'll surely pull me over and give me a ticket.)
On that day, I'll pull off the last sticky remnants of that Band Aid, exposing my wound for the world to see.
And, with time, I'll heal.
But I'll always bear the scar.

No comments: