Monday, March 24, 2008

The last hurrah

It's my last week at this job.
Next week, I'll be gainfully employed elsewhere.
I find myself looking around with fondness (and a touch of residual anger) at my home away from home for six, long years.
I have lost a baby, a grandmother, and a father, deployed a husband, and birthed three babies while there.
I have held countless animals as they've breathed their last breath, hoping they took some comfort in my presence, especially if their owners could not be there. I have breathed life into precious newborns, working diligently to insure that they survived. I have treated and cared for more pets than I even could count. I have been lunged at, scratched, and bitten (only once).
And Friday I will walk away from it all.
It was my security blanket for years. And, now that I'm a mom, it's time to put it away.
Despite everything that's happened, most of my memories are pleasant. I will be able to look back fondly, and hopefully will feel comfortable visiting from time to time.
I know I will never forgive, but I also never will forget.
And, for that, I am grateful.

No comments: