Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Boys and girls

When I get home from work most nights, my husband and children are playing in the yard.
They are dirty and disgusting and having a great time.
And I'm disturbed.
Oh not by the dirt caked fingers or sweat stench that they emit.
I'm disturbed by the fact that my daughter looks like a son.
When she and I are together, she's in dresses and bows and looks like a girl.
Leave her with The Man, and she in boys clothes and covered in funk.
With me, she smells nice and clean.
With him, she smells like a dirty little boy.
And she loves it.
Both sides of her.
She is all about the pretty girl primping. But she can get down and dirty with the best of them.
And it seems like I can do nothing but hold my nose and let her go.
Well, I guess I always wanted another son.

No comments: