Thursday, July 17, 2008

White lies or bad parenting?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25593236/

I always try to tell my kids the truth. I will not lie to them, but I will phrase info in such a way that it is appropriate for their age and ability to understand.

But lying would be easier at times.

Wait a minute. I do lie to my kids.

I'm a horrible parent.

While I might not fib about the state of the world, religion, or that too much candy will rot their baby teeth, I do lie about Santa, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth fairy.

I let my children believe those lies.

So when is a lie a lie? In the above story, was the mother's lie acceptable, or should she have told the truth and survived the ensuing tantrum? Is allowing our children to believe in fictional characters any better than a lie of omission or a lie to prevent a temper tantrum?

Is a lie always a lie?

No comments: