Thursday, July 30, 2009

Morality and ethics

Why is it so hard to do the right thing?
My Christian friends would state that temptation and roadblocks are set in our paths to make us work harder to do the right thing. So we learn.
Screw that.
My former boss has his own code of ethics that had nothing to do with what was moral or right.
At least not for anyone but himself.
And I watched him maneuver his ethics to suit his own purpose for six long years.
Which gave me a great example of what I don't want to be.
I know what is right, and I strive daily to walk that path.
I make mistakes. I take detours. But I always end up back where I should be.
I think.
But after the year we've endured, it would be nice just to have an easy, well manicured path to walk instead of the one with the fiery pits and craggy rocks and distracting salespeople hocking their goods.
I want to do what is right.
I want to live a moral life.
I want to be able to look myself in the eye and know I've done everything I can to insure my soul is as taint free as possible.
But I stumble and fall when faced with temptation.
And some days, I don't want to get up.
I want to sleep.
i want to press my cheek to a cool rock and not get up.
And then I remember.
I have three little faces looking to me for guidance.
And that sets me back on my feet and trudging forward.
Because I refuse to let my kids down.

No comments: