Thursday, June 25, 2009

Toast

"Boo, why did you put your friend Bear Bear in the oven?"
"Because I wanted his to be toast!"
Yep, Bear Bear, the stuffed Winnie the Pooh i have spent countless hours looking for and washing, was placed in the toaster oven and fricasseed today.
I arrived home to the desperate please of Th Man and Boo to fix him, cause, ya know, six years of veterinary medicine experience and a uterus means I can do stuff like this.
Wee--ooooo! Wee--oooo! Those are the ambulance sounds I make as I pull out my minute sewing kit and some found fabric and start to work, cutting off the damaged fur and melted internal beads to try and save Bear Bear's life.
"Damn it! I'm losing him. Someone get me the paddles! Breathe, damn you! Breathe! No bears will die on my watch today!"
I set up an emergency OR (my desk) with my three scrub nurses (Bo, Bug, and Punk.) And I fielded questions like a champ.
"Can you save him, Mommy?"
"I don't know."
"Is he fixed yet?"
"I don't know."
"Bah?"
I don't know!"
I stitched, pulled, poked, and patched Bear Bear into the bear of Frankenstein. I have sewn until my fingers hurt and bled--all for the love of one little pyromaniac child.
And while I sewed like Bear Bear's life depended on it, I remembered why I was doing it.
I remembered Boo.
And, though now permanently crippled, I am pleased to report:
Surgery successful.
HE LIVES!

3 comments:

Tara said...

LOL! I know I've seen fridge locks. I've never seen an oven lock. Sounds like you need one as I sit here and wonder what he will toast next.

mrsrstjr said...

LOL Makes me think of the time my mom stitched up my bear b/c my sister decided she was going to give him open stomach surgery. He's still stitched up to this day!

Good job Mom!

Just the five of us said...

You write so eloquently even when it is about the crazy things our kids do. I love reading your posts.