Monday, June 8, 2009

Single Parent

Okay, I have a little bit of time as a single parent under my belt again since The Man's return to gainful employment
I don't think the heathens are enjoying it as much as they thought they would.
I'm not the fun parent. I freely admit it. I'm the scheduler parent--I schedule appointments and activities and events and things to do. I like a tight run ship (See honey? Navy reference!) and clean and well mannered heathens.
Not that I get those things, but damn it, I try!
I know my kids miss the wild freedom and Daddy days--playing with rocks in the driveway, covering themselves with mud, and eating lollipops they share with the dogs.
I see the longing in their eyes as they inch towards the door and freedom when they think I'm not looking.
Truthfully? I'm only slightly less anal about my kids days than Kate Gosselin. I just don't care about the housework. I think that's the big difference. And I don't have that weird hair.
I know kids need free time. got the memo along with the stretch marks. But I need structure. I thrive on structure. Ask The Man. I can't fly by the seat of my panties (Hm mm. Did I wear them today?) --I must have planned events and end times.
So the heathens will have to adjust.
Or they will mutiny.
Knowing my kids, just call me Captain Bligh.
But I did see the relief in their eyes when they saw The Man in our bed this morning. Bug practically booted me out the door this morning with a "Have a nice day!"
He even locked the door behind me.
I think I'm offended.
But I'll know for sure when I go home and they won't let me in. Then I'll really be up a creek without a paddle.
Argh!

1 comment:

Tara said...

Yup - waiting to see if my locks will be changed as well. Bribing him with French Toast for breakfast this morning didn't work. If this keeps up I'll be pulling out the cookies. You'll know I'm desperate when I actually agree to share my brownies...