Sunday, June 21, 2009

Daddy

Today is Father's Day.
It's a day when I miss my own Daddy so much I feel like I can't breathe, but it's also a day I recognize how fantastic a Daddy The Man is.
My Daddy was a gruff, loving man. I am the youngest of eight kids, and so, by the time he got to me, he was older, tired, and had seen it all. He once said I was his favorite child because I was the baby, the last chance he had to be a parent. And so I was special.
He loved all his children, even the ones who only deserved a boot up their ass, but he got to spend the most parenting time with my brother and I. He was stable, happily married, and enjoying the middle stage of his life. And we reaped the benefits and the heartaches.
We lost him a few years ago the day before Thanksgiving, which forever alters that holiday for my family. But we are thankful we had him for as long as we did.
The Man, who was not only silly enough to marry me but crazy enough to procreate with me, is an amazing dad. He thinks our kids are funny and beautiful and rotten and ornery and too much like me.
I watch him play cars on the floor for hours. I've stood in the window and watched as he chased children around the yard all afternoon. I've stood by as the heathens "woke him up" (*wink, wink*) by bouncing on him in bed.
I've seen him act as a teacher to our babies--walking, talking, playing, cleaning, and life lessons.
I've lain in bed, listening to him walk a crying baby during the night so I could catch a few minutes more of sleep.
I've seen him scrub walls when explosive diarrhea from a baby diaper bested him.
And I've watched him sneak our kids treats he knew I didn't want them to have just to watch their little faces light up at their first taste of ice cream.
No, he's far from perfect. I could list faults and flaws aplenty. But watching him parent, most days, I don't see the man who leaves his socks laying around, who snores loud enough to wake the dead, and who eats foods that make me turn green. I just see a dad who loves his children with a passion that defies logic.
Not a bad deal, if you ask me.
I was lucky enough to be the apple of my Daddy's eye, and now I see the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Worms and all.
Happy Daddies Day.

No comments: