Monday, December 14, 2009

Memories

I didn't really want a daughter.
Don't get me wrong, I love my baby girl.
After two boys, a girl was a strange and frightening thing.
She still is, but I like the strange and frightening quality of my daughter.
But I've discovered another joy of having a daughter.
I can buy her the toys I had as a child that have come back in style.
Cabbage Patch Kids. Check. One will be under the tree.
My Little Pony. Check. Got two of those.
I haven't been able to find Strawberry Shortcake, but she has a birthday this month, so I'm hoping an aunt will take pity on me . . .er, her . . .and buy her one.
Having a daughter is my own personal accepted way to jog down memory lane and relive my childhood.
She can ask for the toys. I can play with them.
Seems fair.
Heaven help her if she wants something I can't play with and don't have fond memories of.
I don't think she'd be getting it!

No comments: